Microsoft Project 2010 – Introduction
Course Length: 2 Days
Course Format: Instructor–Led
Course Hours: 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Course Description: You need to gather information about the various tasks involved, resources required to accomplish the tasks, and the overall cost in order to plan a project. Microsoft® Project 2010 acts as a tool that assists you in managing your projects. In this course, you will create and modify a project plan. The plans need to be updated and modified regularly to keep the project moving on track. This course will build upon the knowledge gained, and give you the opportunity to work with a project plan once it reaches the project implementation phase.
Course Objective: You will create a project plan containing tasks, organize these tasks in a work breakdown structure containing task relationships, create and assign resources, and finalize the project to implement the project plan. You will exchange project plan data with other applications, update project plans, create visual reports, and reuse project plan information.
Target Student: This course is designed for a person who has an understanding of project management concepts, who is responsible for creating and modifying project plans, and who needs a tool to manage these project plans.
Prerequisites: This course is designed for a person who has an understanding of project management concepts, who is responsible for creating and modifying project plans, and who needs a tool to manage these project plans.
Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Explore the Microsoft Office Project environment and the various views in which you can survey a project file.
- Create a new project plan.
- Manage tasks by organizing them and setting task relationships.
- Manage resources for a project.
- Finalize the project plan.
- Exchange project plan data with other applications.
- Update a project plan.
- Manage project costs.
- Report project data visually.
- Reuse project plan information.
Lesson 1: Getting Started with Microsoft Project
- Explore the Microsoft Project 2010 Environment
- Display an Existing Project Plan in Different Views
Lesson 2: Creating a Project Plan
- Create a New Project Plan
- Assign a Project Calendar
- Add Tasks to the Project Plan
- Enter the Task Duration Estimates
- Add Resources in the Project Plan
Lesson 3: Managing Tasks in a Project Plan
- Outline Tasks
- Add a Recurring Task
- Link Dependent Tasks
- Set a Constraint to a Task
- Set a Task Deadline
- Add Notes to a Task
Lesson 4: Managing Resources in a Project Plan
- Create a Resource Calendar
- Assign Resources to Tasks
- Enter Costs for Resources
- Resolve Resource Conflicts
Lesson 5: Finalizing the Project Plan
- Shorten the Project Using the Critical Path
- Set a Baseline
- Print a Project Summary Report
Lesson 1: Exchanging Project Plan Data with Other Applications
- Import Project Information
- Export Project Plan Data into Excel
- Copy a Picture of the Project Plan Information
Lesson 2: Updating a Project Plan
- Enter Task Progress
- Enter Overtime Work
- Edit Tasks
- Reschedule a Task
- Filter Tasks
- Set an Interim Plan
- Create a Custom Table
- Create a Custom Field
Lesson 3: Managing Project Costs
- Update Cost Rate Tables
- Group Costs
- Link Documents to a Project Plan
Lesson 4: Reporting Project Data Visually
- Create a Visual Report
- Customize a Visual Report
- Create a Visual Report Template
Lesson 5: Reusing Project Plan Information
- Create a Project Plan Template
- Create a Custom View
- Make Custom Views Available to Other Project Plans
- Share Resources
- Create a Master Project