Microsoft Visio 2013 – Advanced
Course Length: 1 Day
Course Format: Instructor–Led
Course Hours: 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Course Overview: Microsoft® Visio® stands out among similar applications because of its unique ability to draw a wide variety of diagrams, flowcharts, workflows, and organization structures—anything that can be represented by shapes connected by lines. Most importantly, these shapes can be rearranged and with corresponding lines remaining intact. Visio has improved over the years as features common among Microsoft® Office applications have been added. Today, Visio is well integrated with other members of the Office family as well as Microsoft’s cloud-based services. This greatly enriches the sharing and publishing of Visio drawings.
Target Student: The target student for this course is a graphic designer, subject matter specialist, or other knowledge worker with basic Microsoft Visio 2013 skills (such as creating basic workflows and other diagrams) who needs to use Visio to create complex graphics and illustrations (such as floor plans, custom maps, and scientific illustrations) that may be linked to external data sources and may be inserted into other Microsoft Office files.
Prerequisites To ensure your success in this course, you should have the ability to create basic workflows and other common diagram types in Visio. You can obtain this level of knowledge by taking CompuTrain course: Microsoft® Visio® 2013: Introduction.
Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Enhance the look of drawings.
- Create shapes, stencils, and templates.
- Connect drawings to external data.
- Leverage development tools.
- Share drawings.
- Use diagram standards (optional).
Lesson 1: Enhancing the Look of Drawings
- Create a Microsoft Account and Sign in to Visio
- Work with Shape Styles
- Use 3D Shapes
- Apply Backgrounds, Borders, and Titles
- Define Shape Styles
Lesson 2: Creating Shapes, Stencils, and Templates
- Create Simple Custom Shapes
- Create Custom Stencils
- Create Custom Templates
Lesson 3: Connecting Drawings to External Data
- Make an Organization Chart from an Excel Spreadsheet
- Generate a Pivot Diagram from an Excel Spreadsheet
- Create a Gantt Chart from a Project File
- Create a Timeline from a Project File
- Connect a Map to an Access Database
Lesson 4: Leveraging Development Tools
- Create Macros
- Modify ShapeSheets
- Build Advanced Shapes
Lesson 5: Sharing Drawings
- Save and Share Drawings with OneDrive
- Review Drawings
- Insert Drawings into Other Office Files
- Export Drawings
- Print Drawings