Power BI Desktop
Course Length: 1 Day
Course Format: Instructor–Led
Course Hours: 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Target Student: This course is for users who already have a Data Model and want to start visualizing their data in Power BI Desktop! Alternately, this course is for beginning Power BI users who want to explore the functionality and capabilities of Power BI Desktop.
Prerequisites: To ensure your success, we recommend you first take the following CompuTrain course or have equivalent knowledge: Microsoft® Excel®: Introduction. Alternately, basic PowerPoint skills and/or some database experience would be helpful.
Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Navigate in Power BI Desktop
- View and Understand Data Models
- Create Reports using Data Model Data
- Use DAX Functions
- Create Measures and KPIs
- Create Tables, Matrices and Charts
- Create Dashboards
Lesson 1: Introducing Power BI
- Why Use Power BI Desktop?
- Exploring the Data Model Manager Interface
Lesson 2: Viewing the Data Model
- What is a Data Model?
- Understanding Table Relationships
- Understanding a Star Schema
- Making a User Friendly Model
Lesson 3: Understanding DAX Calculations
- What is DAX?
- Implementing DAX Operators
- Using a Text Function to Create a Calculated Column
- Using DAX Date and Time Functions
Lesson 4: Creating Measures with DAX
- Calculated Columns vs Measures
- Using Logical Functions
- Using Filter Functions
- Creating KPIs
Lesson 5: Creating Standard Visualizations
- Creating Tables and Matrices
- Constructing Bar, Column, and Pie Charts
- Building Line and Scatter Charts
- Creating Map-Based Visualizations
Lesson 6: Creating Interactive Dashboards
- Linking Visualizations
- Filtering Groups and Views